As I am writing this, I have goose bumps running up and down my body. I’m freezing. Our kitchen is horribly drafty, the cold wind is coming in around the screen door and under the main door. Brrr! So, warm soups are us! Plus, with the line of business my husband is in, I have the ingredients on hand. I made this soup of the first time a few years ago, and Hubby loved it, so I making chicken tostito soup quite often in the cold (6) months here.
Chicken Tostito Soup
*This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more information.*
I always try to have different colored peppers in my freezer, so, I dice orange and red peppers, as well as one medium onion.
I make this in my large slow cooker. Starting with 3-4 chicken breast in the bottom. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of chili powder and garlic powder, and 2 tsp of cumin over the chicken breast.
You can also bake your chicken first with the seasonings on it. Instead of laying the baked chicken in your slower, first shred it, as we will be shredding it later. Then continue on with the next steps.
Add a full jar of salsa, I make it with Roasted Red Pepper now, it has a great taste going with the peppers that you added, it is a medium so it has a little heat, making you even warmer inside. Fill the jar half way with chicken stock, put the lid on, give it a shake and add it to your slow cooker.
Add either a cup of frozen corn or a can of corn.
Add two handfuls of Tostitos. I normally use the small rounds but these taste great too. I don’t break them up, just stir them in. They will break down as it’s cooking, thickening it up.
About 30 minutes before serving, take out the chicken, shred it, and then replace it in the slow cooker, stirring. If you would like your soup thicker, more stew like, add another handful or two of Tostitos.
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 jar of Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
- ½ cup of chicken stock
- 1 cup of corn
- 2+ handfuls of Tostitos
- Dice orange and red peppers, as well as one medium onion.
- Starting with 3-4 chicken breast in the bottom. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of chili powder and garlic powder, and 2 tsp of cumin over the chicken breast.
- Add a full jar of Tostitos salsa.
- Fill the jar half way with chicken stock, put the jar on, give it a shake and add it to your slow cooker with your cup of corn and a couple handfuls of Tostitos.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or low for 3-4.
- Add another handful of Tostitos 30 minutes before serving if you wish to thicken it up more.