I’ve been cooking meals that are cleaning out the cupboards, fridge and freezer again. Without Hubby home to help eat all the food, it’s taking longer to consume it all. Trying to be inventive, using up stuff and still making something the girls will eat. Not an easy combination. However, this casserole, was amazing! Both girls liked it, Brookland came back asking for more.
It was super easy.
Cheesy Chicken and Bean Casserole
*This post may contain affiliate links, see my disclosure policy for more information.*
What you need:
2-4 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups of yellow & green beans, other vegetables
2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
3 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
1/2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
How to make Cheesy Chicken and Bean Casserole:
I cut up a chicken breast into bite size pieces, seasoned them with some spices, I used a mixed pepper and garlic seasoning. I fried in in some olive oil until completely cooked.
I added yellow and green bean as well as come carrots to the frying pan with chicken and covered it. Letting the vegetables steam. While the vegetables are steaming, I made some cheese sauce. Same steps to making gravy, minus the Worcestershire sauce, added 1/2 -1 cup of cheddar cheese at the end, stirring it in.
I threw the chicken and vegetables in a casserole dish once the vegetables were tender, poured the cheese sauce over it all and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes.
I’ve made this a few times in the last few weeks, that’s how much we like it. The last time I made it I added broccoli to the rest of the vegetables. I didn’t make enough, Austin has become quite the broccoli lover lately.
Basically, any vegetables that you love would work great, peppers even, whatever you happen to have on hand.
- 2-4 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups of yellow & green beans, other vegetables
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1/2-1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Chicken and Vegetables
- Fry the chicken in oil, season to your taste.
- When chicken is cooked add vegetables to pan, cover allowing your vegetables to steam.
- When vegetables are tender, put chicken and vegetables in a casserole dish. Top with cheese sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small pot.
- Whisk in flour.
- Slowly add broth, whisking consistently.
- Once you have the consistency you like, add cheese, stirring to melt it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. It’s a tasty way to get kids to eat vegetables.